Friday, May 1, 2009

Volcanic S'mores

This post has nothing to do with garbage.

In mid-April we climbed Pacaya, a volcano outside of Antigua, Guatemala. Rosie, a rock star Reed College lady (also from Portland, OR) joined us for the day.

The climb was mellow -- a few kilometers up a gentle, dusty path. Then we got to the part where the rocks were only three-days old. When we stood in one place for too long, our shoes started to melt. The hot air scorched my legs.

We scrambled over to a spot where we could see the lava through the rocks. We then performed the power play of the mountain by pulling the following out of our backpack: marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate. (Gene had picked up long sticks on the hike.) If you click on the picture of me with the stick and marshmallow, you can see the red lava beneath the puffed ball of sugar.

Volcanic s'mores are delicious. We shared with some Canadians and they were psyched.

Just after this picture was taken, I had quite a scare when someone above us dislodged a rock. It came tumbling towards me in slow motion. I couldn't move. Luckily, it broke right above my ankle and rolled to the side. (I felt like I was in an Indiana Jones movie stunt, only I emitted a girlish squeal. Yes. I admit it. I was scared.) Besides toasted sandals, I got off lucky with just a scrape.

We walked down the volcano that evening with bellies full of roasted sugar and chocolate. Mmmm.

1 comment:

Drew Ross said...

Volcanic S'mores? Too friggin' awesome.
Drew